Verto´s approach to GDPR
Why opt-in market research panels are a good idea
What is GDPR?
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a regulation in EU law on data protection and privacy for all individuals within the EU. It addresses the export of personal data outside the EU. Verto Analytics is fully compliant with GDPR regulations, and in fact, it’s been core to our business model to protect personal data since Day 1.
What Does it Mean to be GDPR Compliant?
By May 25, 2018, companies with customers and contacts in the EU must provide the following for their clients:
- Companies must provide a reasonable level of protection for personal data
- Consumers must opt in to our communications
- Websites must display that there are cookies when being tracked, and ask a user’s permission to track
What is Verto’s Stance?
At Verto, we take consumer privacy very seriously. We’ve gone to extreme lengths to ensure that our processes ensure the strictest data privacy compliance standards – both now and in the future. Verto only uses consumer panels to collect measurement data. The panel-based approach is very explicit in terms of the data collection approach and fully GDPR compliant, versus approaches such as using cookies, tagging, SDKs, and other methods that do not explicitly ask users to opt in, or are not made aware that their data is being collected. We have built our methodology and the panel-based approach with the same values that GDPR espouses, and as a result, our business operates on 3 core principles:
- We disclose clearly what our research is about
- We identify each panelist with our own process, and we use our primary apps to collect the data – no hidden SDKs or other approaches in use
Control and Discipline
- We have a dedicated process to remove sensitive data in the panel measurement data
- We remove panelist PII and anonymize the data before it is delivered to internal or external users
- Any panelist can leave at any time, or request their data to be removed
- We remain in active communication with panelists
Is Anything Changing With the Way We Do Business?
- We want consumers to be in control of allowing their data to be used for research. Therefore, we’ll continue to operate panels and keep consumers in the center of our methodology.
- We’ll continue to advance the discussion where very explicit consent and opt-in are the central key requirements for market research to be done
- We believe we are in a sustainable long-term position with our approach, and will continue to comply with privacy related regulation with our opt-in approach